English Language Learners
Special arrangements for English Language Learners (ELL):
A special arrangement for English Language Learners (ELL) can be obtained only from your state licensing board and not all states will allow this arrangement as it is not an ADA (American with Disabilities Act) sanctioned accommodation. Candidates wishing to learn more about this arrangement should contact their state licensing board directly. State board contact information can be found at www.amftrb.org. Approved ELL candidates will be granted extra time on their examination, for an additional fee. Dictionaries and other reference materials are not allowed. Please note: not all state boards will accept a score obtained under an ELL special arrangement; be sure tocheck with your state board. If transferring to a new state, you may need to retest.
Step 1: Contact your State Board and Obtain a Request Form
- If your state board allows extra time for ELL, they will give you a request form to fill out. If you are approved your state board will send back the completed form for you to upload when applying for your examination.
- This form is not the same as the PTC Special Accommodations Request Form.
- Please allow at least 8 weeks for processing; for example, if you wish to test in September’s testing period, you must have your exam application and approved ELL Request Form submitted to PTC no later than July.
- Download Sample Form
Step 2: Apply for the Examination
- Follow the directions found in the Application Procedure section Handbook for Candidates (pg. 9).
- Be sure to answer “Yes” to the question asking if you are requesting extra time as an English Language Learner.
- Choose the amount of time you wish to be added, either 1 or 2 hours.
- Upload your completed state board Request Form to the “Supporting Documents” section of the Online Application.
- The fees will be added to your total examination fees at the bottom of the application
The states listed below allow special arrangements for ELL candidates.
The states listed below do not allow special arrangements for ELL candidates.